Mountains and all hills

This weekend was great. Though I'm all for relaxing after a long week of construction work, it was fun to go on a road trip with four of my fellow Habitat Americorps to Olympic National Park. Sunday was pretty much a big bunch of relaxing once we got on the road. Prep included getting the van all gassed, greased, oiled, and aired, as well as a pit stop at MIGHTY-O's for some delicious vegan doughnuts. I was in a tizzy as to which mighty doughnut to make my own, so I naturally and smoothly asked the guy behind the counter, staring, waiting for my selection, what his favorite was. When he said it was French Toast, I glanced and gasped at it, as I noticed the potential it had. I suggested making this the sample doughnut so I could try it, which he chose to do. And even though it was good, I am always a chocolate lover and would have gone for the chocolate, but I felt I was in this weird situation where I was obligated to get the French Toast doughnut because that's what I requested a sample of. So I got it. It was good! But not chocolate . . .

That was a lot on doughnuts. Moving on. I took a nice nap on our way to our ultimate destination, a coastal camping site. We stopped for lunch at a beautiful lake, it was so clear. Justin taught us how to skip rocks, I managed to get up to 4. I found a heart-shaped rock I was going to give to my grandma in exchange for the Fred Flinstone one she got me years ago, but alas, it broke in the van. What a wimpy rock!

After passing through Forks, the shabby little town now famous because of the Twilight series, our next stop was our first sight of Washington's Pacific coast. It was marvelous! The beach was open, clean, and so beautiful, with tons of smooth rocks and huge, trunk-size 'driftwood.' Some people spotted a whale; Lindsey spotted a sailboat and thought it was the whale. Haha! I laugh as I think about it now. Justin played a nasty trick on all three of us girls, throwing little dead jellyfish at us. I was the first recipient of this, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching it happen to Liz, as I knew exactly what was happening as he handed a "present" to her.

We finally reached our destination, and had quite the time getting from our van to the actual site. I was under the impression we would park the van and camp next to it. But no! We had a 20 minute-ish hike to the beach, which proved to be nice once there, but quite the challenge when you lack gear! We all looked like silly, underprepared hikers as we carried our tents, pillows, blankets, and to top it off, homemade blackberry pie Justin picked up from a vendor on the side of the road. Props to Liz for pulling through on that. I'm sure we were quite the site to those fortunate enough to cross our path. Once we got to the beach there was a nice scramble across fallen trunks, but once in the clearing it was a beautiful place to be. We got there just in time to setup and enjoy the sunset. I must say, it was the most beautiful sunset and landscape I've ever seen. The waves crashed against the rock formations off the coast with the beautiful colors in the background and a bright orange sun falling quickly against it. If you looked over to the south, the moon was already out with a blue-hued sky and darkened woods under it. What a site! Liz and I enjoyed God's beautiful creation as we prayed beside the water.

Despite the evident beauty of this surrounding, it gave me a feeling similar to that I felt in St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City. Even though it is beautiful and plenty of people have a spiritual experience where they feel closer to God, it wasn't that so much for me. I appreciated it and enjoyed the feeling of being close to these strong, constant forces, and out in the open space, but I feel God's presence more in interactions with godly people and those exhibiting His character, such as VBS at church, discussing the Bible with those whom I respect, and receiving grace and mercy from others when I've lost sight of that. It is encouraging to know we can all experience God in different ways.

This weekend and experiencing God's beauty in nature has been a blessing. I also learned through this weekend, as a continued lesson really, that even though God blesses me in this way, He blesses many others with it too. I tend to think of blessings and good things that happen in terms of earthly resources, that there's only so much to go around, I need to get all I can. But God is abundant! He showers SO MUCH blessing on me and others. I should desire these good things for me and for you and everyone else, I'm sure there's a whole bunch of overlap there, anyway.

Waking up Monday before the rest of the crew, I was able to take a walk for some alone time. It was so beautiful still! The morning brought a chilling, refreshing wind and grey tones that still seemed fresh for the beach. Then Liz and I read James right by the water, which I mean, how could it get better?

Next was Hurricane Ridge, the highest drivable point in the park. It was SO cold, and yet you had an awesome view of the peaks of the mountain range, Mount Olympus being one of them. And yet, our God is bigger and made all of these things. Good weekend.

The seas have lifted up, O Lord,
the seas have lifted up their voice;
the seas have lifted up their pounding waves.
Mightier than the thunder of the great waters,
mightier than the breakers of the sea -
the Lord on high is mighty.
-Psalm 93.3-4


Comments

Popular Posts