food and fauna


This is all a learning and growing experience. I feel as though I've been in Seattle for a long time, but it's been merely three weeks. Being thrown into a grown you're with practically 24/7 would have that effect I suppose. Saturday we had our Teams & Leaders ropes course training with the whole Habitat EKC Americorps team. It was good we went in knowing each other, and I was skeptical at what this could teach us, but it was a good day. We all worked well together, as demonstrated in our ability to roll a tennis ball across all of our hands in under two seconds, and successfully line up on logs according to our age. Good skills indeed ;-) The last experiences I've had with ropes courses was at the summer camp I worked at three years ago, helping facilitate 8-18 year olds. And surprisingly, going through this myself and hearing others' feedback, our debriefing really helped the activities to hit home with "real world" application. Our instructor's South African accent didn't hurt either!

I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Phil. 4.11b-13

This is a verse that I've thought about before, but
going to the community services office today to apply for food stamps added new depth to it. I've known what it is to be in want before; wanting new clothes, an updated ipod, a trip around the world and dance in every country I visit (any patrons interested?). Even now, I am in a situation where getting these food stamps really helps, it is a common thing to do while on Americorps, but I don't necessarily need them, and am blessed our country has a system set up to help me with this. I'm thankful. But being in there and seeing a father caring for his two small children while awaiting his turn helped put things in perspective. I'm just trying to take care of myself, and I have plenty of support in case my situation turns sour; others are completely on their own and trying to nourish growing children. We can all be thankful for the good infrastructure in our country that allows this for the most part. Even though I am sympathetic for those in need in our country, I am glad help is available, but there are millions abroad who are at the end of the line, and there is no system or infrastructure set up for their provision.

Besides the food stamp situation, I've recognized that having a shortage of funds can provide good interaction among us "poor Americorps folk." Living in a house of 8, it's fun when we can hang out and just be goofy together (and trust me, when you're working, eating, cleaning, and shopping together, ridiculousness is bound to ensue. But this reinforces to me that even in our economic situation, it isn't the delicacies and abundance that satisfies us, but rather our interaction and availability to be with each other. Or at least, I hope that's how it is for everyone.

And after all that, it is still meaningful to know what it is to have plenty. A sermon a year back or so helped me realize this, that God provides abundance. Spi
ritual abundance is a bigger theme in the New Testament it seems, but nevertheless experiencing the comfort and hospitality of my aunt and uncle out here, the comfort of being at home and not worrying about buying or making food, and having a spiritual abundance in Cincinnati with my network of Christian friends, church, and ministry, I suppose you could say it gives hope. And relatively speaking in regards to the rest of the world, since I live abundantly in many many ways, it allows me and some would say obligates me to share this abundance in some way. In which way is yet to be determined.

Personal update : this past weekend I pet and picked up a sphinx cat for the first time. I went with a roommate to pick up various items for our house, and at one of the places there were two sphinxes! In case you don't know, these are hairless cats. They are kind of creepy to touch, but I'm sure one would get used to it. But their personalities are so great, I loved it! Sphinx, octopus, or bathroom grime, you decide.

Also, I'd like to inform you that vegan doughnuts can be delicious! The three of us who went to the food stamp place enjoyed our victory elevenses at Mighty-O-Donuts, a vegan coffee/doughnut shop. Glazed chocolate = deliciousness. Now you know! And I'm still shaking from my first americano, maybe I'll be a caffeine addict afterall.




I just started a Picasa account where you can see my Seattle photos, but here's a view of the Lake near my house. I went here to read, nap and people watch yesterday. It's a wonderful place!


Comments

  1. This was a great entry, Meg. Thanks for sharing your heart with us. It is true that we are so blessed in this country, in whatever situation we find ourselves in, and that abundance in the Lord will get us through any situation! This blessed my day, so thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may be needing your advice on how to apply for those food stamps here in a few weeks...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts