A healthy little taste of DEATH


Today we had our safety orientation. It made me think our chances of dying on site were close to 100%. People get impaled, severed, strewn, buried, and such it seems. I guess it's like going to driving school and learning about all the terrible things that can happen. Seriously though, it was good to learn the safety measures to take and learn what hazards to avoid, for our benefits as well as the volunteers.

I meant to write earlier, after my first week of work, but haven't until now. But here are some observations:

  • I have learned so much about Habitat for Humanity this week, it's ridiculous. In a nutshell, it's about helping the community help itself by having everyone work together to build a house. They have to do a tremendous amount of fundraising to provide for the houses, Americorps, staff, insurance, etc.
  • Working with others is a really really good way to get to know them. I'm really looking forward to spending time with the homeowners as well as very briefly getting to know hundreds of volunteers.
  • I can successfully drive a 12-passenger van, to everyone's benefit.
  • Rain pants exist. Who knew?
  • Biking uphill to church Sunday morning in the rain is meant for some people, but not for me. . . bring me the bus!
  • Hiking uphill on Saturday in the rain is meant for some people. I think I'll get more used to it. . . the views and enjoying God's splendor in a spot one must work to get to makes it worth it.


My good friend from school came to visit this weekend, we had a splendid time, including experiencing the world's largest lite-brite (which happens to be an Asics shoe, in case you're curious)




And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please Him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God. Colossians 1.10.

Comments

  1. Where did you go to church on Sunday?? i'm hoping to go to bethany when i get out there (sept 23!!) AND I have a car! I'll trade you a dry ride to church for your companionship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Sarah,
    I don't know your e-mail, but that sounds great! I think you know Liz, my roommate, so I'll try to get your email from her...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts