Where our purpose lies.

Over some delicious coffee at Rohs Street Cafe the other day, a friend and I were recently pondering the life questions that come about with thinking of the shift from college to the "real" world.  I've been through this shift once already, but the second wave is quickly approaching upon my master's degree graduation in June.  I was able to contribute my own personal account of adventures after my undergrad, including a year in Americorps in Washington followed by a month of natural building apprenticeship in California.


There's plenty of advice, direction, and wisdom to be learned when it comes to such transitions (and I'm definitely willing to hear it if you have some, please share!), but as Christians we believe that, there are several priorities above whatever our individual inclinations may be.  By we I mean that these are my personal opinion, and as I flesh them out, I'll include verses if I have them to align.  Otherwise, take these strictly as the opinion of a Christ-seeker lacking knowledge in theological discourse.


1. We are part of a purpose larger than our own.  Right now I think in terms of a typical architect's career: graduate, get in my IDP hours, take the exams, get licensed, work and work at the discipline until developing credibility and take my career from there. And yet, I can't help thinking of how helplessly boring this sounds.  Part of this, of course, is my generation's exposure to study abroad, travel, and rebelling against the typical 'American dream.'  Part of me knows it's also the fact that I belong to Someone greater than myself.  His plan is larger than I can comprehend, and I like it this way in theory, but when it comes to decisions, faith needs to be trusted.


Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
Ephesians 3.20-21.


2. There is a difference between one's context and one's calling.  A friend recently pointed this out and, while the rest of the conversation is a bit fuzzy, this really helps differentiate who we are as a person, our identity in Christ, and be humbled by our circumstances and career as a blessing to know Him and glorify Him, through that context.  The bigger plan in which we, placed in this context are to play a part, is our calling.  This is exciting because it takes pressure off of the actual job, whether there's a direct connection to ministry and paycheck or not, as well as a team mentality with supporting full-time ministry workers and missionaries.


For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 
Romans 12:4-5.


3. Success is not measured how the world sees it.  Reading Paul's letters, Jesus' teaching, and the prophets reaffirms that God's way and the world's way are at odds.  This is very apparent in Jesus' teaching of the Beatitudes, for example, in that it is the mourners, meek, merciful, poor in spirit, pure in heart, peacemakers, and persecuted that are blessed.  Constantly Jesus tells us of the dangers of the love of money.  The shift in values from a humanist, Darwinian perspective of survival of the fittest, and the shift from even our Puritan, American-dream mindset that everyone earns what they have, is contested in the teaching of viewing others as better than yourself (Philippians 2:3), and treating others as you would want to be treated (Mark 12:30-31).  Not only this, which could easily be translated to a 'good person' rule for all sorts of people, those with Christ as their center strive to honor God with their life decisions, attitudes, and lifework, for all other 'accomplishments' simply pale in comparison to union with the One above any earthly aspiration.


But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ.  What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ...
Philippians 3.7-8.


Here are some other Bible passages that I find relevant to this topic.


Wait for the LORD;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the LORD.
Psalm 27.14

You will show me the way of life,
granting me the joy of your presence
and the pleasure of living with You forever.
Psalm 16.11

The LORD will work out His plans for my life -
for your faithful love, O LORD, endures forever.
Psalm 138.8

Don't be impatient for the LORD to act!
Travel steadily along his path.
Psalm 37.34a

O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself;
it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.
Jeremiah 10.23

We can make our own plans,
but the Lord gives the right answer.
Proverbs 16.1


For some practical advice of things to do in a year off or after graduation, here are a few options.


1. Americorps.  Personal fave, of course.  It can be described as a domestic version of the Peacecorps and is only a year commitment.  It was an awesome experience and can help you learn about yourself while helping others in an established institution.
2. Peacecorps.  27 month commitment I believe.  Here's a way to be challenged and exposed to new things, wonderful and difficult.  They've actually been targeting baby boomers lately, 55+ I think it is, as they have expertise in a field and are still able-bodied to handle not so ideal conditions.  Sounds pretty wonderful.
3. Fulbright Fellowship.  There are several forms of these, individual research, teaching in a foreign country, etc., but it sounds really great to me, I've had it in mind for years.
4. EDGEcorps.  This is being a Navigators campus leader for, 2 years I think?  People who are into it seem to like it a lot!
5. Delaying the Real World.  A book to refer to about different exciting things to do during an intentional 'year off.'




I hope this helps shed a bit of light on prioritizing based on individual desires placed in your own heart, while keeping in mind the larger scope of belonging to the body of Christ and its larger implications and goals in reaching the world.  We have collective as well as individual responsibilities, convictions, and inspiration in this, which is so great.


Cincinnati Zoo Festival of Lights

From you come this ebb and flow within me;
otherwise this sea of mine would be still.
From that source from which You gave me this perplexity,
Likewise now, graciously give me clarity,
O, Lord.
- J. Rumi

Comments

Popular Posts