horchata.


So, I feel like getting really excited about non-pop music is an oxymoron, but according to What White People Like, irony is in my dna, so here I am. Pumped! Vampire Weekend's new album is fantastic. Thanks to friends here in Seattle I've gotten more on track with good music. In fact, the album is downloading on iTunes right now. Happy birthday to me.

Today was pretty wonderful, even despite the lack of sleep. A dirty chai at Star$s sounded like a good idea, until it was 1:30am and I still wasn't asleep. Today's activities were sure to tire me out, though. I often think that construction work can be more of a workout than much of the stuff out there.

Today was the all staff build day. We hosted it at our jobsite, which was fun to have everyone on "our" turf. I got to work with a few ladies from the other site, and we had a blast. They are a lot of fun and the whole day was a lot of intense building going on (I think the need of harnesses automatically qualifies it as intense), and good times of laughter. My highlight was when, thanks to my elongated arms, I was able to get in just an awkward enough position to hammer the barge board onto the side bay. Leaning over a truss, standing on top plates, I managed to do so with the girls cheering M-E-G-H-A-N in the near background, and celebrating when I got it. What a feat! It's nice we were able to all work together with super-teamwork. That's right, super.

Delicious guacamole, salsa dip, and pizza at lunch also made the day a little more fantastic. Here's a snapshot of our jobsite! In the foreground is the very last house of the neighborhood, in the foundation/formwork stage. In the back is the house I was working on today, notice the lovely fascia on the front facing side :)


To top off the day, I made some under-par garlic bread to go with some yummy pasta. We worked on grad apps while indulging in ten forms of sugar all mashed into a dessert cookie bar. And yet, I'm remembering that some Hatians and expatriates alike may be struggling for life at the moment amidst the rubble, devastation, and chaos. World Vision is a good organization to provide aid if you're interested (click!)

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men... Colossians 3.23

Comments

  1. hi meghan!

    i was scanning the updates to the blogs of my friends on the igoogle and i saw "horchata" in your little blog box. so that got me excited because 1. i haven't heard from my friend meghan in awhile and 2. horchata is a delicious beverage i enjoy. i read your blog and enjoyed hearing about your more recent exploits, but then, at the end, i was left asking myself, "what about the horchata?" i read through your blog one more time, searching for the word "horchata," but, alas, none could be found. then i said to myself, "wait. i feel like a cool band like vampire weekend could have a non-trendy trendy title like 'horchata.' perhaps i should click the link." i did, the mystery was solved, and now i'm looking forward to checking out vampire weekend some more soon.

    i hope you enjoyed the chronicles of the last five minutes of my life :)

    anyway, i hope you are doing great in seattle! i still want to make it out there sometime, but i need to figure out what's happening in the next year of my life first. have a great pre-birthday weekend and i'll talk to you later!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts