Coaster of mountains

Today!

Goodness, the sunrise is generally beautiful in Seattle, but Mother Nature went above and beyond this morning. Driving shotgun on the highway out of the city, we cross a long bridge along which there are many trees and houses. Some days one can even see Mt. Rainier in the distant background. Today was one of those days. The vivid pink - purple - orange - yellow - blue streaked sky reflected in the still water with the volcano towering in snowy white beyond. Ahhh. . .

Work was filled with wind, heavy labor, and concrete. I got to be the official pourer! It was like a miracle really, as I was one of the last out of the job trailer after finishing lunch, Adam calls, "Meghan, do you want to pour the concrete?" And yes, of course I did! So I was given the 1,000 ft hose/crane to hold and direct the spouting concrete into the formwork. It took a little while to realize I wasn't actually moving the hose, the man with the controller system standing right in front of me was, but that made it a little easier. Between him and the site manager directing me, we had quite a successful pour if I may say so. Intense!

The festivities of the day continued as I sold another item on etsy. Always a thrill. It was followed by my worst 2 hours of the day though. I felt smited by 'the man,' as I was charged a hefty fee from the YMCA for a fee they received from 'the man,' aka the bank, for my automatic payment coming from my canceled credit card. And who is to blame? Me. Hmph. It made me go macro, as a friend wisely calls it, and I started thinking about how insignificant this fee money would be to a big corporation, but what if I were a struggling parent trying to raise kids and making ends meet, and here is this stupid fine? And what about people who don't have the support network of being helped out when unexpected things and finances happen? As I felt a general sympathy for the needy folk, I realized how glad I am that, though it's not much in the grand scheme, my job right now is to help families like that, ones in Snoqualmie, Washington, have a nice place to come home to and call their own. It's a relief, really, to know I am actively helping and associated with a great organization that helps people who feel frustrated, take the initiative, and work hard to provide for their family.

But I was still feeling bad for myself at this point, when I walked outside the gym and realized my ice cream store of choice in Seattle, across the street, was open. Finally! After 3+ months of being mysteriously closed! They changed the name and management, but same ice cream. Anyway, I was going to get some groceries for dinner, but decided ice cream was more of a priority at this point. So I go in, have some samples, and read the sign on the register: cash only. While the employee helped another customer I thought of what I could do; "maybe he'll just give me ice cream," I thought, "I'm sad right now and could really use it and explained how happy I was they reopened." So it was just him and me in there, and I told how I don't have cash. "There's an ATM over at Walgreens," he says. Noo, I just want you to give me ice cream! I didn't say that. But I just left, as I wasn't about to withdraw money for a child scoop of ice cream.

Thankfully I went macro again after the whole semi-failed operation this evening and realized how, despite these seemingly frustrating things, I have it pretty good. Really good, actually. And I'm glad to be reminded of the frustrations of poverty, and this year to even be able to relate to it, to some degree. I watched the preview for the new CBS show Undercover Boss, which also gave me perspective.

Bottom line, love God, love people. Even if they don't give you ice cream or charge you for your own mistake.


May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us;
establish the work of our hands for us -
yes, establish the work of our hands.

Psalm 90.17


Comments

Popular Posts