"we're in Heaven's crawlspace"

Here I sit, 11 at night, waiting for my plan b dessert to cool. I was pretty enthused to make raspberry chocolate brownies, it sounds good, right? Well, word of advice: make sure you know the container in which you place the batter is oven-safe. 'Nuff said. The vegan chocolate cake is probably a better option anyway.

So Monday was a special Habitat event, we had a day-long "green" charrette to brainstorm a state-wide program Habitat affiliates and interestesd volunteers, homeowners, etc. can take so everyone is on the same page in the organization with sustainability. There were people of all ages, I was the youngest up to retired age. Everyone was at a different level in their "green" knowledge, and it was interesting getting to know the different people and how they were involved in Habitat. Even in that small group of around 30 people, there were such different banks of information and resources, it is exciting to think of the potential when individuals and groups collaborate with a common goal; in this case, creating a home that is sustainable for the environment, homeowner, and community.

This past Saturday ended the beans and rice fast. We went out with a bang by enjoying a delicious dinner at Pies & Pints. A restaurant centered around pot pies and beer, lovely place! We enjoyed these and finished with some Mexican chocolate cake. ::food coma!!!:: I should have realized asking Andrew as an intellectual he'd have good insight on what he learned from the fast, but this did not cross my mind in fact and I was pleasantly surprised when he actually had already reflected on the whole thing. He made a good point that, at least the two of us and being Americans, we constantly overstimulate our tastebuds by daily satisfying them with all kinds of food we desire. If we want pizza, we have it. Chocolate, cookies, cheese puffs, steak, beer, apples, green beans, orange juice, whatever, it can be had as easily as walking to a grocery store. Limiting our food options helps us appreciate what we eat as a special "treat." I learned that rice and beans are very substantial in satisfying hunger, and I am glad for this. But I still wanted variety, to some degree at least, so I came to appreciate the freedom I have of this.

I told a friend I'd give him a list of my top ten visited websites. And I thought hey, why not share them with the whole worldwide web! So here, courtesy of Chris' request! And thanks to him for the title comment, it's a nice thought. Countdown! These are actually not in an order because I'm tired and soon to bed.

10. postsecret.com -- this website is a blog weekly updated with confessions, secrets, etc. that people send in from all over the world. It's amazing how connected people feel through this, as well as exemplary of many human feelings and conditions.
9. http://openarchitecturenetwork.org/ -- This website was created by the founder of Architecture for Humanity and author of Design Like You Give a Damn. It's an amazing way to be inspired by others' pro-bono type projects. They also have design contests a few times a year.
8. http://sadsteve.com/ -- Good website for finding music.
7. brainyquote.com -- Any quote / topic / theme / keyword of a quote you'd like to find, they most likely find it here. For example, if you want a killer quotation in your blog banner . . .
6. http://biblegateway.com/ -- A resource for finding any book / verse / topic / keyword in the Bible in any version you'd like, even other languages.
5. http://www.reuters.com/ -- I don't know if you can trust any of these mainstream news agencies, but I like this one and it has a lot of photography news from places and events around the world.
4. http://1000awesomethings.com/ -- This website is so great, it was a long list of things to make you happy, and hilarious explanations of each.
3. http://www.flickr.com/ -- I use this site to find photos for inspiration, drawing, scale figures for class projects, etc.
2. etsy.com -- An easy way to "waste" hours at a time, or rather, be inspired. It's people all over the country selling artwork, jewelry, anything homemade or vintage. Love it!!!
1. marthastewart.com -- Too often my roommates catch me surfing this site and gawking over the yummy cupcakes. I can't help it that everything Martha makes is lovely, and that I'm a cupcake aficionado.

How lovely is Your dwelling place, O Lord Almighty! . . . I would rather be a gatekeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. Psalm 84:1, 8a


Comments

  1. thanks meghan. now i can waste endless hours on the internet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts