503

My darling girl,

503 days.  That is how long it's been since your Daddy said goodbye early one the morning, while you were still sleeping, and drove out to Arizona for his military training.  Tomorrow we will wake up like any other day, but we will be going to the National Guard base to pick your Daddy up from his deployment - for GOOD.

While we've been counting down to this day since the moment he left, I still just have to say, that I have cherished these day, weeks, and months that we have spent together.  It has been hard.  Really, really hard.  We moved into our house 3 days before your Daddy left, so I have unpacked and created a home for us when you were 5 months old; I started back at work, and transitioned to a new job; you started daycare (and are still loving it, as you have been since day 1!); I've managed various house projects and maintenance, and I've been there for you to help you grow and thrive, and nurse you back to health after countless sicknesses.  

Together we have flown six flights, two being international; we've been consistent in attending church every Sunday; we've gotten to know fellow church families through small groups and other social events; we took swimming lessons; we visited our family in Florida and North Georgia; we attended a wedding in St. Augustine; we play outside all the time; we love dancing and chasing Zinnie, but then being 'gentle' once we catch her.

The thing is, it hasn't just been the two of us, I have truly felt God's favor and mercy as we've navigated the day-by-days.  When looking back, I mostly see this in the form of Him allowing me sleep when I'm at the brink, but also providing safety for us, safety for your father so we didn't have to worry, no major house or car problems, no major injuries or sicknesses.  He has provided a strong church network that provided encouragement and literal nourishment when we were both suffering colds.  Thanks be to God for looking after our family.

All in all, my darling, we have had a blast together, and I will look back at this time with all of the weight it deserves - the challenge of being a solo parent and balancing that with the other demands of my life, while also growing as a person because of the challenge itself, and the rare window of introspection that being alone night after night allows.  But most of all, the delightful weight of the pride of seeing you grow each and every day into the beautiful, bright, fun-loving girl that you are.  You like to pray, you've revealed your empathy today when you cried watching me throw away the dying flowers that brought us joy the last couple weeks (and rescued one, insisting I place it in the vase with the remaining foliage), you will start dancing at even the slightest beat, you love Baby Shark, rainbows, bubbles, balloons, hearts, Elmo, and W's, and love even more when they converge, like a heart balloon.  You are my most favorite little buddy and it has been a pleasure to go through this season with you, my darling.  I love you.

Now we will start a new blessed season of our family, as the three of us <3.

Yet he has not left himself without testimony: He has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven and crops in their seasons; he provides you with plenty of food and fills your hearts with joy.” _Acts 14:17






Comments

Popular Posts