WoW: Meet Someone New!

And so I fall in love just a little ol' little bit every day with someone new. _Hozier

Darling girl,

I don't know if you will become a wanderlust like your mommy once you are out of school and before settling down (another post for another day!), or if you will be satisfied living life within familiar bounds.  Either way, my wisdom today still stands: meet someone new!  Your life will cross the path of so many souls, souls that are loved and created by the same God who loves you unconditionally and in whose image you are both made.  Getting to know someone unlike you will broaden your ability to empathize with their personal struggles, and teach you a certain strength or perspective that will propel your own goals in life.  And getting to know someone who is like you - well, there is such beauty to meeting a new kindred spirit!

As you know, in my 20's I traveled to several countries.  Besides unnamable wisdom that I gleaned from these travels, at different moments I recall specific people whose paths I have crossed.  For example, a leader of the church in New Delhi I attended pointed out the value of following a story while it is unfolding, and praying for the outcome, rather than a recap once it is 'finished' (this was specifically in relation to a missionary at the time).  Also, I recall a young boy I met in a small town on my way to Leh Ladakh.  We did not speak the same language, but I taught him how to play tic-tac-toe, as he approached me while I sketched the mountainside.  As a local example, one morning walking to work (I parked several blocks away to avoid paying for a parking pass), there was a similarly aged girl who I fell in stride with.  It's not a busy sidewalk path, and she seemed nice, so we started chatting.  I learned that she was looking to move, so I got her contact info.  It just so happened a friend of a friend was looking for a roommate, and we put them in touch, and they became roomies.  I was such a small, yet critical part in making that happen, it was great!

I could go on and on, maybe I will in another post, but there are so many people whose lives you can touch and who can touch yours, just by looking up and paying attention to them.  Start a conversation, exhibit patience and grace, and know that the backstory of their life is definitely 100% not the same as yours, and there is merit to that!

As a side note, a great thing about growing up in the South is that you will learn the art of conversation.  They don't need to be rushed, nor to have a great conclusion or even great wit - they can simply be two or more people communicating and spending time together.

Remember you are so loved!!

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. _Galatians 3:28

Comments

Popular Posts