Drawing on Strength

My darling baby girl,


You are 6.5 months old.  Yesterday morning Daddy and I woke you up around 5:15am so you and he could drive me to meet a co-worker for my first trip away from you.  It's been so hard being away from you - your smile, our collective silliness, creeping on the cat together while she's sleeping, providing you nourishment and comfort through my milk, your little giggles when my hair waves on your face and I kiss your little belly.  I was only supposed to be away for an overnight trip, but it turned into three days, as the client requested the architect to be on-site for another meeting.


I've named this post such because you and I are both being strong in our time apart.  In an industry dominated by men, I have to bring my bottles and pump to make sure I have milk to provide you and keep up my supply, and I need to try my hardest to keep my head in the project work, even when I'm missing your sweet little self.  My heart is breaking today, as you have had a hard 24 hours with a slight fever and a wet cough.  Daddy is saving us both by taking good care of you, with a practically sleepless night, and a trip to the doctor and pharmacy.  You're being strong by getting through this challenging time - however you are doing it, however you need to - and the three of us will be together soon.  And it'll be easier the next time.  Then the next time.  My hope and motivation with working is that you will see me working hard and succeeding in a profession that I am passionate about, and you realize that you, too, can pursue your passion with vigor and grit, and move the mountains that God has in store for you.


So while I sit here in a sleek, shiny lobby, just know I would rather be at home, watching you sleep on the monitor while I eat a quick meal and get ready for bed myself.  I'm madly in love with you, my darling girl.  But I want you to know you can achieve whatever you work towards, and sometimes it takes sacrifice.


Grace and peace to the mothers of the world - those who work in their home so selflessly for their family, and those who make it work pursuing a profession outside the home <3

Every hour of every day, God is richly blessing us; both when we sleep and when we wake His mercy waits upon us. - Charles Spurgeon


Comments

Popular Posts