Unemployment, Moody, & Mission


This week I have had multiple blessings wrapped in a package of encouragement and doubt.

Being over two months into unemployment, I find myself reconsidering the need to strive for academic excellence, as it no longer promises you a successful job, or even a paying job, for that matter.  

Considering I currently live in the land of freedom and opportunity, while I sympathize for my own unemployed self, I feel I can better sympathize for the individuals around the world who have no access to a decent job, let alone the education and training to allow this.  It reminds me also that while there is a definite need for better education for the 99% around the world, there needs to be a job market to emerge into - whether the textile industry, retail, local handicraft businesses, or beyond.  A decent job in which someone can take pride in their work well done, while providing for them and their family's needs.

After a somewhat disappointing realization that my portfolio with humanitarian and community work, as well as unique explorations and worldwide ambitions does not always appeal to those in corporate architecture, I was encouraged by a conversation with a firm that indeed valued my work, goals, ambitions, and design priorities.  This called into question for me where I would fit in within the industry - learning and extending valuable skills, while still believing in the use of my time and strengths.

And yet, as my own experiences of picking up and moving, as well as encouragement from fellow sisters in Christ, missionary Heidi Baker (Iris Ministries) and author Jennie Allen point out, we are most at home in Christ.  We must always be willing to lay everything down for Him, as it is only at this point that He can work with our life, where it is, to weave it into His beautiful story.  Lately the lyrics of a worship song by MercyMe have been in my mind, "Take my life and form it/ take my mind, transform it/take my will, conform it to yours, to yours, O Lord."  As I constantly am frustrated with thinking of my current economic status, paying off my loans soon, not using my skills, thinking and rethinking priorities and goals, considering how I may fit in and be molded within the architecture industry, and the implications of all of these issues, I need to be reminded of spiritual truths that I need to realize are just that - truths.  Not theories, personal beliefs, opinions, concepts, or wishes - truths.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of attending the Facades + Innovation conference at IIT.  One of the organizers graciously let me attend as a guest, as I have not the funding to register.  It was encouraging to be surrounded by other architects, as well as see the IIT campus.  In fact, a lively highlight includes a rap video promotion (I couldn't find the link).  







http://www.moodystandard.com/missionsconference/

Following this I had the pleasure to attend the Moody Missions Conference 2012 Ethnefest.  As your may be aware, I have an affinity with Moody, their reputation, and their widely impactful mission for the Gospel through mission-work and ministry.  There were many good things about this event, including 1 being surrounded by college students passionately praising the Lord, 2 a lament for our injustice as wealthy Americans, 3 a redemptive time with Native Americans, 3 beautiful, passionate worship, and 4 prayers in many languages from different continents, including the jungles of Ecuador, Gaelic, Korean (and praying for North Korea), and a song for Japan, one of the least churched nations in the world.  It encouraged my soul and reminded me of priorities; not necessarily to buy a plane ticket and go (many countries require visas, after all), but that prioritizing others' work in this way even while I am here is a necessary mindset as a believer.  This will most likely require a surrendering of other priorities, such as fashion, free time, comfort, and status, but that's where understanding the larger picture - of God's plan for the world we are in, not our own plan for our life - must be realized and take precedence.



As I sit at my computer, well-fed, clothed, warm, in a public library I drove ~my car to, in a city where I receive justice, rights, and the hope of opportunity, may I trust the Lord with not my plans, but His plans for me, that as I and others look back at this season, it may exhibit His power, patience, grace, and blessing.

If you are in the search for your own employment, consider this prayer:


Dear Lord Jesus Christ,
You wanted all who are wearyTo come to You for support.
Lord, I am worn out
By my inability to find work.
 Guide my steps to a righteous path;
Give me the patience
To find opportunities with a future.
Calm my worries and fears
As my financial responsibilities mount.
Strengthen my resolve;
Embolden my heart to open doors;
Open my eyes to see life beyond rejections.
Help me believe in me.
 Let me realize other waysTo bring about Your kingdom on earth.
Let me grow as a personThat I may be worthyFor Your greater glory.
In the name of the Father. Amen.


-from Catholic Doors Ministry
(more prayers for unemployment here and here.)




In other news, my lifelong friend, Kathleen, a recent graduate from the Performing Arts department at Wright State, has started a video blog of her experiences beginning her career upon graduation in June.  More to come from a great, talented star! (Maybe someday you can see our holiday family performances, hehe.)

27 
27 

Why do you complain, Jacob?
    Why do you say, Israel,
“My way is hidden from the Lord;
    my cause is disregarded by my God”?
Do you not know?
    Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
    the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
    and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary
    and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary,
    and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint.

Isaiah 40:27-31 


Comments

Popular Posts