Red Flag.

No really, a red flag! That's the inspiration for my blog today. I went on an errand to pick up some wood today, and, picking up a 20 footer in a less than 20 foot truck, it stuck out considerably in the back. To be safe, the guy tacked a red flag to the back to warn drivers of its depth. While driving, I thought about all of this and realized I was really glad to be driving something so long it needs depth perception warning. What fun!

With the last few weeks being quite disappointing weather, this week has been the opposite, very pleasing and warm and sunny. How glorious! And everyone comes outside to enjoy it. I was able to get in a lovely run around the lake, followed by a quick rugby lesson. One of our volunteers is a rugby player and generously gave us a ball. A housemate and I were throwing it around and practicing. Rough game, to say the least. . . But anyway, in case you have not experienced a spring in Seattle, here's a view of walking down my street. Views like this remind me why it's okay that the rain just keeps coming.



And I've been meaning to write this for some time now:

Reason #15 why Seattle is so Great

FREE CONCERTS. There was a marathon of these going on lately it seems, which makes me wonder how many I've missed? A friend of mine has a knack for finding free things, so two concerts a couple weekends ago were brought to my attention by him. I saw Morning Benders, who it ends up I just love their music. That was Friday I believe. Saturday was Citizen Cope who played at a record store. The only song I knew by him was "Let the Drummer Kick" because a couple danced to it on 'So You Think You Can Dance' a few seasons ago. He was kind of out there, but good music. This city is just full of melodies floating around. Sooo, this past Sunday was another gem of a show, Akron Family and Baby Gramps at the Vera Project. Baby Gramps was first, and there's no adequate way to describe his musical style, you'll just have to you tube it. Crazy stuff. Then Akron Family came on. I didn't know there stuff, to be honest, but when they started playing their first song, "River," my eyes lit up with sheer delight. First of all, I love that song. I know it is a respectable song, as Chris had it on his Top 10 of 2009. Second, I didn't know they sang it, so that was a nice surprise. Third, it was really an experience to hear live. The rest of their music was also good, I was just really glad to hear this one.


Other exciting news besides the wonderful weather includes my new bike! It's a vintage Schwinn. I would be pitifully lost without the support of my friends who are able to help me 1) buy the bike, and 2) fix the tire when it goes flat (second day, the nerve!).

Oh yes, and I just finished reading Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis and I think you may be interested in reading it because it is really good and makes you think. It's written from the perspective of a 'senior' demon writing instructions to a 'junior' demon. It's a backwards, yet effective way, of looking at theology and the battle between good and evil. It's written with a bit of a playful tone, and keeps your attention because you need to constantly take what he says and process it backwards, but that is part of the fun of it. It give good perspective on life, as all of Lewis' work seems to do, as well as perspective on death and small matters that build or degrade one's character and reliance on God. Good read, recommended by me.


psst. . . sit here.

Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law.
Romans 13.8.

Comments

Popular Posts